If You've Just Had A Loss
All of the hospitals & OB-GYN offices in Lancaster are aware of Share of Lancaster and the services we provide.
- If your loss occurred in the hospital, you will be asked to complete a form which allows your child to be buried in the Share Burial plot at St. Joseph’s Cemetery. If you are unsure or overwhelmed when you are at the hospital, please ask your nurse or clinical provider to take some extra time to explain your choices to you.
- Many local hospitals have a special team called the “Bereavement Team”. These individuals have been given special training in pregnancy loss and still-birth and can provide you with support and answers to questions that you may have. An important member of the Bereavement Team is the Chaplain. You will most likely be asked if you would like to speak with the Chaplain during your stay.
- While you are in the hospital, make sure to review the “Rights of the Parent and Rights of the Child” document.
- Due to the HIPPA law, the hospital is unable to provide your name and information to Share of Lancaster. Please know that we are here if you need us and if you would like to let us know about your loss and have your baby recognized or have additional questions, please call us (717) 553-7857.
If You Know Someone Who Has Just Had A Loss
Many times it is hard to know what to do or say when someone we know has had a loss. It is important to know that sometimes, the best thing you can do is to just let them know you are sorry and that you are there for them. And then….listen. Many people feel that they need to say something to try to help but end up saying things that are hurtful.
Please try to avoid saying the following:
- At least you can have or have children.
- This was meant to be.
- There must have been something wrong with the baby.
- At least you didn't know the baby, it would have been much harder.
- Don't make the conversation about you and your losses.
Know that people grieve in different ways and two people with the same experience make not react the same way. Offer to attend a Share support group with your friend/family member to make them feel more comfortable.
We are currently offering a monthly support video. YouTube link is provided on our homepage. In-person groups are coming March 2023. Check our events page for more details.